Friday, March 21, 2008

basically, i'm excited about life again.


Distance is different here. 3 hours takes you half way across the country, and the most common complaint about Oxford Brooks, from students, was the distance from campus to oxford city centre. How far is it? 4 miles. Schmear America all you like, but you gotta admit it primes us kids for trekking smaller countries without fear. (Just for the record, schmear doesn't come up in the spell check's dictionary, but it recommends I subsitute the word 'henchmen'. would you still understand me then? would you still love me?)
I interviewed with the head of the Performing Arts program at Oxford Brooks on Wednesday, then went and toured UWE, who accepted me. UWE is just outside Bristol, which is a rough kinda city moving at high speed. Its close to the sea, so the air reminds you of salty lips.
I took 3 buses and a 3 trains back to Cambridge last night. My cousin Orlando came over to share a bottle of Courviosier and tell us stories about his pirate-life in college. I love having cousins. He's a good one, too.
Royal Holloway sent a fat envelope with a cover letter that stated that someone in admissions was "delighted to inform" me of my acceptance to the University of London.
Holy mother of mango!
Whether or not I decide to go there, this is really exciting. Oxford Brooks isn't as good a school, but that city pulled a hold-up on my heart. Look at that fucking picture! The whole city is full of that gorgeous architecture.

I used to have this friend, and she's still in my heart, but our roads split a while back and are headed in directions that know little about each other. But there is one thing I used to say to her a lot and now i say to you, "my dear, I am absolutely delighted to be alive"

1 comment:

mplsfoodnotbombs said...

Lucy, I'm so excited for you! Either of these schools would be lucky to have you - as we have been here in the TC. I guess thinking of no el Geacho in Minneapolis makes me realize I have a smidgeon of a crush on you (pitter patter)...but, I hope Europe rocks and you get to eat lots of olives when you make your way to the mediterranean!

Wednesday is the first outside FNB of the year at Peavey Park. brrr...wish we could serve a couple more weeks at the Jack Pine, but alas they've officially closed. The upside is we're gonna play live music outside-hopefully some of the homebums will join in. It'll be good to be out in the world again. Happy to hear you're happy - I as well! First batch of maple syrup cooked down today backyard stylie!

Oh, and check out some FNBs that side of the Atlantic for us!

Toodles,

Natty